HOW TO FIND ARTICLES

WHAT IS NEW? JUST SCROLL DOWN AND ENJOY THE 25 MOST RECENT ARTICLES.

NO ARTICLES GET LOST! ARCHIVES ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THIS PAGE.

VIEW THE MOST POPULAR ARTICLES.

THOSE PROJECTS WOULD NEED YOUR HELP.

SEARCH FOR TOPICS:
ENTER ANY SEARCH WORD ON THE VERY TOP LEFT OF THIS SCREEN OR CLICK ON ONE OF THE FOLLOWING TOPICS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THIS PAGE.


Friday, February 8, 2008

PE MONA SHARES TO FELLOW ROTARIANS KARNEVAL IN EUPEN, BELGIUM

I swear, I will never, ever aspire to the idea of being an Old Woman. My vanity and self preservation will sustain my belief and protect me from this mishap. But on Thursday, 31 January 2008, I was one.

This much awaited Thursday ushers the start of the 3-day Karneval celebration, a German tradition of ancient folklore, meant to drive away the ghost of winter. Looking very Victorian in my black ensemble, I put on a feathered hat and quickly borrowed a woolen white shawl to wrap around my shoulders. With a matching umbrella and a black leather bag I joined the crowd waving and chanting Alaaf, Alaaf. We waltzed our way to the Municipal Hall where the Town Mayor awaited us to give his welcome speech. The crowd of marchers and cheerers were composed of familiar faces like doctors,pharmacists, bakers, postmen, carpenters, florists of the town of Eupen. Eupen, by the way, is the capital of the German speaking community of Belgium. The other two communities are the French and Flemish speaking.

Karneval songs make use of simple words that simply rhyme with the melody. One song goes like this. OohLala Willst du eine Pizza, Ooh Lala Pizza Wunderbar! Nobody cares and nobody dares not to listen. The mood simply catches up with you. If laughter is the gauge by which the game of life is played and WON, then the Karnevalisten of Eupen, have had it. The fun continues up to tuesday. Their message, "When winter is over, then Spring is not farbehind." Hurrah!





PE Mona looks good as an Oldie... ok with me!

reception at city hall

imagine sinulog or carnival in rio and its really cold.

Only experienced wise men are allowed to drive a float...

No comments: